Casing grease has two functions:
- Reducing friction to avoid scoring and rapid degradation of the threading. Water does this to a very limited extend. Organic oily products like grease, will do this much better. Also certain “soft” minerals have this property like Lithium, Molybdenum, Copper, soot (=amorphous carbon), but also clay minerals like talcum and montmorillonite (main component of bentonite)!
- Conducting heat from the highest friction (hot) spots to cooler parts of the threading. Water will conduct heat, but grease also does. Dry minerals like soot or talcum will not conduct heat.
Purely organic greases will loose their proper lubrication properties at temperatures exceeding 160-180 °C. The greases we recommend for casing connections contain organic carriers in combination with minerals for increased heat resistance.
Use Seal Guard™ for general applications. Use Well Guard® for monitoring and drinking water well drilling.
This grease has been specifically formulated to meet the performance requirements of proprietary, metal-to-metal seal and high-interference connection designs utilizing today’s high-performance materials, which include “super” chrome and high-alloy steels like we use for our Sonic casing. Environmentally accepted biodegradability: Meets or exceeds Ospar Commission-HOCNF (Harmonized Offshore Chemical Notification Format)
CLASSIFICATION: “Yellow” rating for Norway
CLASSIFICATION: “E” for The United Kingdom & The Netherlands
- Metal free
- Frictional properties equivalent to API MODIFIED
- High film strength to protect against galling
- Low solids content to accommodate premium connection design requirements
- Ideal for use on high-chrome connections
- Sticks to wet or oily threads
WELL-GUARD is a high-performance thread compound specifically designed for critical monitor well and other environmentally sensitive drilling applications requiring the use of a petroleum hydrocarbon-free product. WELL-GUARD is formulated from a synergistic blend of synthetic fluids and non-metallic, inorganic, EP and anti-wear additives. WELL-GUARD provides maximum protection against galling, seizing, and damage to threads while maintaining monitor well integrity. WELL-GUARD is an all-weather product and is completely brushable from -23°C to 93°C while retaining its buttery texture at temperatures exceeding 204°C.
Is in full compliance with all current Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) specification limits as detailed in tests completed by 3rd party test labs in the USA. Test results available on request.
- Petroleum hydrocarbon-free
- Color: Beige Paste
- Water resistant
- Hydrocarbon resistant
- Corrosion resistant
- Vegetable & synthetic base
- Chemically stable